Saturday, January 17, 2009

The first sign of changes coming on..

Today I thought about how Nate and his love for me naturally forces a desire in me to be financially responsible. I've never had that and I love it. I thought about all the money I've spent on things I couldn't afford in my lifetime and how I now have the desire to be the Latin Suze Orman. I'm on the right track I think. Here's why....
Financially, I'm kicking a bad habitual process of mine:

Step 1 -WANT/FEEL
Step 2-DO/ENGAGE/DECIDE


My new process goes like this: Step 1-WANT
Step 2- CALM DOWN from the child-like need to engage
Step 3-THINK ABOUT consequences, pros, cons, anything will do really as long as I think.
Step 4-MAKE THE MOST EDUCATED DECISION


I'm sure this is what most people do when they make decisions. For some reason, I never have known how to do this. Spiritually, that child-like process has worked just great: I feel and then I move or decide. It doesn't transfer over well into other aspects of life sometimes though. The best thing I'm seeing right now is that nothing is ever finished and everything remains in the stage of "process." I will always be in the process of kicking my bad habits because I should always be working to be better. I will always be in the process of trying to be a great wife or a wonderful mother and probably won't ever be finished working on those. I will always be in the process of trying to be a disciple of Christ, always working and never finished. Nate's New Testament teacher talked about the true definition of the word perfect referenced in Mathew 5:48.."Be ye therefore perfect even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." He says in our "2009 colloquial English language" the word means finished. So when we say we can't be perfect as the Savior, I guess we mean we can't be finished. In my life I won't be finished with the things that matter most. They will be a lifetime work in progress. That's ok with me, as long as I'm working and not giving up. I'm refining old habits and changing all the time, and I think that's the big idea.

So when I saw that Van Morrison was playing the album "Astral Weeks" in it's entirety live in L.A. for ONLY $100.oo per person I (step 1) wanted to go so bad, as he is one of my favorite singer/songwriters ever. I (step 2) stopped and did not buy a ticket and plan a trip to LA. I (step 3) thought about how much I love the Astral Weeks album and how I don't know many how many more chances I'll have to see him live. I (step 4) thought about how ridiculous of a person I have always been for entertaining and acting upon thoughts like this. I thought Nish, you are truly crazy, how did you live like that? Step 5, I decided maybe getting the DVD of the concert that goes for $15 for Valentines Day would be an ok decision. Deal, sounds good. And I haven't even thought about it since. Don't even care about missing out on ridiculous things because, like I said, I'm more concerned with being Suze Orman's protege. And these are the first thoughts and changes of my new stage in life, I hope I can share more as they come.

3 comments:

Sally Jensen Interiors said...

Great post! 2:07 AM though!? That doesn't sound very Suze Orman of you. Sally and I were in the spa last night after midnight and thought about calling you two but we figured you would be asleep since you are now a boring married couple.

This is Dave by the way- I'll go to Van Morrison with you

Laurel said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, very good thoughts. Were both of you up, or just you?

By the way, I don't think Dave has ever commented on my blog, so count yourself blessed.

Cire said...

yeah, what's up, Dave? You even showed up in a pic on facebook and someone commented on seeing you . . . sorry to crash your comments, Nichelle - way to go, thinking of Vaentine's Day already!