Monday, October 26, 2009

Boooooring




Nate and I saw Where the Wild things are on Saturday. I never really was super attached to the book like a lot of people I know were as a child, so hopefully I don't offend you and your emotional ties to the book. The movie was so so so boring. For two hours you sit through obvious allegories of parent/adult perspective/experiences versus children's perspective/experiences and wait for something to happen. Nope, nothing happens but a lot of pretty imagery and music in an attempt to supplement a lack of a storyline. I will admit that I got pretty sad in the beginning in the real life scenes and was involved in the story. But then it turned to the craziness that is the book, and that was the end of my interest. This is why some children's books do well as just that, because kids are the ones with great imaginations. Kids don't need story lines and plots, they are beyond satisfied with dreams and nonsense. But this was not a kids movie, this was an adult movie. Kids enjoy movies like G-Force or Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs. But maybe it was for the adult child and maybe you're more of a kid than me and have a greater imagination, and maybe you'll like it.

4 comments:

Julie and Kyle said...

good to know. we'll probably end up seeing it if it comes to the theater here anyway. how's life?

Ryan Smart said...

Interesting you say that. When I saw the previews I thought to myself, "Everyone is going to want to make this their favorite movie and pretend it was their favorite kids book." Just so you know my favorite kids book was, "There's a Monster at the End of This Book." The main character was Grover from Sesame Street. Not much Hollywood can do with that, but a great read for your fetus.

Anyway, I saw the previews and I thought it looked boring from even that and too dark. Kids aren't Emo or sad. Let's make it for kids not semi-drugged adults who pretend to love post modernism and other intellectual things. That being said--I'll still see it.

Cal said...

This review might have dropped this movie into the "dollar movie" category. Still want to see it, but maybe there's a better choice. Especially since Grant has never read the book (can you believe that?) Anyway...

Lezlie said...

Whatever loser.. It was good... and I cried!