Friday, October 30, 2009

SUBSTITUTE

I've been getting myself into a couple side jobs lately. My job as a cashier is still only part-time so I've been scrounging up the opportunities that come my way.

Opportunity #1: Jack of all trades/Substitute aid at the local elementary school

This one is the most interesting because I am able to sub for so many different positions. Today I subbed for a crossing guard and a recess aid. I put on my neon relective safety vest, grabbed my stop sign and went to work. While on the job mid-crosswalk this morning I experienced a bloody nose meltdown from a boy who had to drop his bike and book it to the health center. I also witnessed the following conversation. Let me first preface by saying the cars that were driving in to drop off kids were mostly Mercedes SUV's, Escalades, Denalis, Infiniti SUVs, etc. While watching the late kids come into school to get their tardy passes from the office, I overheard one of the office ladies tell two little girls, "We've really got to talk to your mom girls, this isn't good. This is getting really bad." Mom walks in and 60 yr. old office lady starts speaking to 27 yr. old mom softly about the issue so as to not embarrass her. Mom raises voice and replies, " I am NOT getting them here any earlier. This is ridiculous, I mean I just think having to leave the house this early is RIDICULOUS. I am NOT waking them up any earlier, and we are NOT leaving the house any earlier than we already do. You know what the problem is? It's the traffic, the traffic is really bad here." The older office lady was shocked and speechless, as was I. Wow.


Opportunity #2: Substitute Cycle instructor at 24 HR Fitness
I couldn't be more excited about this one. Remember when I went to my 24 HR Fitness certification and training for their cycle classes back in April? Well, I've finally settled into one city since then and so I felt it was time to contact the area manager here so I could schedule an audition/tryout. With the group classes, it's kind of a different ballgame than just asking "Are you guys hiring right now?" You have to tryout with the area manager and then if they like you and there is a position, you can have it. But if there isn't an available position you can still be a substitute and get hired and just wait until a position opens up before you get your own class. So I got hired as a substitute to teach cycle which I'm SO excited about. I wasn't excited when Suzy the area manager critiqued me saying my voice was way too high and to really nip that in the butt before it becomes a habit."Because no one wants to hear a really high voice, it's just annoying. I mean I couldn't hire one of the girls cause her voice was just too shrill and high." I thought my voice was on the deeper side, but I guess Suzy knows what she's doing. She also told me I talk "WAY" too much and to tone it down, "you know, keep it short and sweet." I felt pretty embarrassed after that audition and kept trying to listen to the sound of my voice. But I'm pretty pumped now though. Suzy's just doing her job trying to "nip bad habits in the butt."



Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention a few weeks ago that I turned 27. Nate gave me a great pre-birthday date since I had to work on my actual birthday. After all of you suggesting I go for the cooked/tempurah stuff I didn't hesitate to pick a sushi restaurant here called RA as my BDay restaurant choice. It's kind of like Happy Sumo in Utah, except there's way more of a club vibe going on. We could barely hear each other talking over P. Diddy blaring. But the food, was SOO good. Nate also got me my first road bike! He got an old bike and had some new tires and tubes put on it and it is ready to go. We've already taken it out for a ride. Nate really takes celebrating occasions seriously and I love that about him. He is the best. Here's my new little bike...

6 comments:

Susan said...

Ha ha! Was the crosswalk job at Las Sendas? I can totally see that happening up here. Thanks for the laugh :)

Shelby said...

Hilarious. I love your substitute jobs! Hopefully you will be teaching a cycle class when we're in AZ because it would be SOOOOO fun to come down and spin with you ;)

It was so good seeing you guys the other day. we really miss you and wish it could have been for longer.

LOVE YOU!

Nichelle said...

Yep Susan, Las Sendas:) A lot of funny stories there.

Marcus Lane said...

you should try to sub for Rubys class, that would be cool.

Julie and Kyle said...

Love it! Maybe for christmas, nate can buy you a bike trailer for your little one. you can cart that little sucker anywhere! i love mine. you cant put a baby in it until they can sit up well, but hey, its a start!

j said...

Nichell, I loved your sharing stories. So funnyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! And I am very excited about your substitute job at the cycling class thing. When you teach please let me know. I wanna go. And don't worry about being loud. It's better being loud than way too soft. I'm pretty sure you do good!!!! I loved seen you guys last night. Even thought was quick.