Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Our little Oscar joins the family



This is our first family photo, it makes me happy.


Although I haven't done anything for the past week and I've been trapped in my house, I feel like I've been too busy to tell Oscar's story. Here it is..

Last Tuesday morning I had continuing contractions from the day before that only had gotten more painful when I woke up. They were painful enough to go see my doctor for a little investigating. He saw me quickly and said I was dilated to about a 3 1/2 and sent me over to the hospital and said he would be there in an hour to come break my water. I got there at 3:30 and got the epidural going by the time I was at a 4. I just had to wait there until 8:30 while my body dilated to a 10. At 8:30 I was good to start pushing. I pushed until 10:00 exactly, which was Oscar's birth time. It was pretty hard to push and be completely numb, I couldn't tell what I was doing. I hadn't eaten since noon that day and with the drugs and the heavy pushing I started shaking like crazy and thought I might throw up. My teeth wouldn't stop clattering and it was killing my jaw. But then Oscar came and he was so sweet. Hearing his little cry for the first time and seeing him was an incomparable experience. When I got to hold him for the first time I was overcome with love and happiness. Just that one moment with him made all the negative of the past 9 months completely forgettable. I've never felt anything like that before. I love him to death.

We've been home with him now for a week and have loved every second that we get to stare at his adorable face, it hasn't gotten old. Nate was wondering if I was experiencing any postpartum depression. I think I have the opposite. I cry out of joy at least 2 times a day right now. I don't remember the last time I was so sensitive to every little thing that is good in my life. I mean, I usually feel a lot of gratitude daily for the great life I have, but it's way more intense now. Oscar has made every moment 100 times more joyful and way more emotional. I look at Nate differently and I look at my life differently, and it's the best kind of different. We really love Oscar to pieces and are so happy he has finally joined us.

It was also Nate's birthday on Saturday. I felt terrible that I really couldn't do anything for him while I was recovering from a serious procedure and taking care of a 4 day old baby. Even before giving birth I was car-less, so it was hard to get anything done for him. So, this birthday was a bust and I'm feeling bad about it. Hopefully we can have a makeup date sometime soon. I really love my life with Nate and love that he still trys to impress me with his sense of humor. He's been a really fun husband and he's already a pretty cool dad. He always makes an effort to make sure we are still dating each other. I love the million little things he thinks of to do together or for me. I love you Nate, happy birthday you 23 yr. old dad.


The birthday boy/dad. I think that's a great color on Nate.

Oscar has also had plenty of visitors. Lezlie and my grandpa stayed with us over the weekend and my grandma and mom have been here for almost a week. Diana has come to see him a few times and Stephani and Callie drove all the way from Orange County and back in a day just to see us. Almost all the Jensens have come to see him and Emilia has already taken more pictures of him than I have. My co-worker Sara, who threw me an awesome work baby shower, came to see us in the hospital too. I am disgusting in all of the pictures I'm posting but I'm just gonna try to not let that bother me.


Stephani, Callie and Klein. Stephani makes baby ties and brought some cute ones she made for Oscar. Klein brought a nice poop, he's so ridiculously cute.


Lezlie REALLY loves babies. I think she has a special preference for Oscar though.


Oscar. Yep, my mom.



My cute grandpa.


My co-worker Sara and her daughter who were really adamant about persuading Nate and I to NOT name the baby Oscar. They brought me alternatives and suggestions for months.

7 comments:

dana and justin said...

Nichelle you seriously look awesome and baby Oscar is just precious! And that is so funny about your co-worker and her daughter. My mother-in-law was trying to get me to change Sebastian's name at the hospital... people are hilarious! I am so happy for you!

Cal said...

What a fun time. I'm still waiting for Nate to get my money back from that guy :)

dana and justin said...

Nichelle, I can't believe you even have time to look at blogs;) Sebastian is going to be five months soon! I want our babies to be friends!

Azy said...

congrats new mama! oscar is adorable :)

birds do it better... said...

oh man. that alison girl is pretty rad. "a little broken glass in raw hamburger, and wah-la! no more cats!" its kinda crazy, she's my life twin. we both have cat poop problems and tyler is currently building me a chicken coop! how am i not friends with this person?
anyway, I can't wait to see more pics of oscar. and you look so pretty in your "first family photo"

David and Shalynna said...

Nichelle, Oscar is just adorable. I love him. You look gorgeous and I can just imagine the perfect mother you are. You are one of the sweetest people I know, so of course that makes a great mother!

I love to hear birthing stories and details. Also, I think you are so cute for feeling bad that it was Nate's birthday and you didn't do anything big for him. You've always been so great with birthdays, haven't you? I should be more like you!

Hope you are doing well and getting some sleep. Looking forward to seeing more photos of your darling little baby.

c said...

I feel the exact same way! You describe that sensitive/joy/gratitude feeling perfectly. Mike's b-day was also 2 days after Eden was born. It's fun to kinda go through the same things at the same time. xo, chelsea