Monday, September 14, 2009

Good movie, Bad movie

Good Movie



I know this has been out on DVD for some time now, but it is the only funny movie I have seen in a really long time. I was panting a little bit because I had laughed so hard. Great message by the aetheist Ricky Gervais: Be a good person. Not crude, not vulgar, just really really funny with a feel good message. I love it.


Bad Movie



I was definitely more offended by this movie though than I was annoyed with having to endure it's cheesiness. (Does over referencing The Smiths and casting Zooey Deschanel define a good movie now?) I'm not a movie critic so I won't embarrass myself and explain my reasoning for why I thought this movie was cheesy, overkill on the "indie," crude, vulgar, and mixed in it's messages. But I will explain why I was offended by how they portrayed Tom Hansen's pre-teen sister. The 12 yr old pre-pubescent sister is portrayed as more romantically and sexually experienced than her 20 something yr old brother. Her lack of naivity is portrayed as cool and her unconventionality seems to be a lesson to the viewer that this is the new headway of pre-teens: premature promiscuity. My problem with condoning the portrayal of 12 yr old girls as romantically and sexually experienced is that under the law, they are still seen as children incapable of making their own judgment. So while we are being educated by these ridiculous movies on how pre-teens are just more sexually advanced these days, we are still imprisoning adult men for pursuing these children. And did I say it was cheesy?

1 comment:

Kate and Robbie said...

WHERE ARE YOU??? Long lost buddy?? Good to hear from you! Thanks for stalking me!!Where are you now? And if you are close...why are we not seeing one anther? Congrats on the baby!!