Friday, March 11, 2011

a few projects

I haven't really documented any of the progress we've made on our house so far and I need to do so. We definitely bought "a fixer upper" with the intention of doing one project at a time. So basically, it will be years and years before our house is up to par with my idea of a great looking house, but we're alright with that. Nothing good should come quick or easy right?

For my birthday my mother in law gave me a great gift. The gift of wallpaper for one of my kitchen walls, as well as the huge gift of helping me tear down the existing mess and helping me put up the new wallpaper. This is a wonderful gift for someone like me because I love to feel like I am skilled, and learning one more skill (how to put up wallpaper) just makes me feel good about myself.



At some point someone that lived in our house wallpapered directly onto the drywall without any prep to the drywall. Then, someone else came along and decided to texture over the old wallpaper instead of taking it down. So my mother in law Laurel and I were left with the huge task of getting through about 4 layers that seem to be made of cement, only to get to the drywall and realize it's coming away with everything else that we're tearing down.



So that's what my kitchen will look like for a week or so until Laurel gets back from Utah to help me hang up the new stuff. I will be cleaning up all the scraps you still see there in the meantime. And then we can hang this stuff..



It's kind of a grey blue with a gold geometric design. I have blues in my house so it works. I will post the finished product as soon as it's done. I'm really excited.

And our tax refund brought us our next project-the roof. When we moved in, our house inspection stated that our roof needed to be replaced this year and that it was a big fire hazard. I guess in the 80's it was cool to have this kind of wood roof called "shake." So we ended up with a 25 yr old pile of warped wood shingles just waiting to catch on fire in the 120 degree AZ heat and send the whole house into flames. It wasn't really a fun project, it was more of a necessity. Here's the before..


And the process..







And the finished product!

1 comment:

Marcus Lane said...

we love it! we are all about projects like this. cant wait to see more.