Sunday, August 22, 2010

domingo delicioso - banana pudding balloons

Every day this past week it was in the 110's here in AZ and I don't think we will hit under 100 degrees until October either. I want to make the most of this long summer by incorporating lots of seasonal treats and so I've been thinking about banana pudding and Nilla wafers. Thanks to a fun idea I saw on the Bakerella website, (thanks Lez) I revamped the summer treat to my chocolatey liking. On the Bakerella website she showed how to make some edible bowls out of chocolate and I was so excited to try them out. If you have kids, please try this recipe, the process will be as fun as the dessert is tasty.

You need:
small balloons
Dolci Frutti chocolate dip (or not if you find a dipping recipe)
wax paper
bananas
pudding (homemade or instant)
Nilla wafers
whipped cream
sprinkles (optional).

First make the chocolate bowls. Blow a bunch of the balloons up first and wash them a little bit. They didn't give the chocolate dip recipe away on the Bakerella website because they were promoting someone else's book where you could find the recipe. So, I just went and bought the Dolci Frutti hard chocolate shell stuff. You know, for dipping strawberries? It worked just fine. If you want to do it from scratch I'm sure you could find a similar recipe. Melt chocolate and spoon onto wax paper. SPRAY BALLOONS WITH PAM! It's essential. Roll the balloons in the chocolate and set upright. Put them in the fridge about 10 minutes. Here they are cold and set....



Then, get a needle and pop the balloons. Spoon in homemade or instant pudding. I did vanilla and banana instant pudding because I didn't have THAT much time. Slice bananas, throw those Nilla Wafers in there, and top with whipped cream of course. If you're making with kids, you NEED sprinkles, it's way more fun that way. And you can eat the bowl!




And here's some token pictures of Oscar. He's chowing down on my hand. He was eating my hand while I ate dinner.


His legs are all cramped in his bathtub now.

4 comments:

Laurel said...

So fun to see you in that dress! And now I understand the items that were in your grocery bags.

Looks like it's about time for Oscar to try a bath in grandma's farmhouse sink.

Vagabond Mother said...

That's awesome, I will have to try it when things are easier to come by in the US. And Oscar is looking mighty healthy. :)

birds do it better... said...

those treats look so cool. how do people come up with this crap? im seriously behind the times with stuff like this. lez just told me what cake pops were a few months ago... and it took a really long time to explain! so corvallis is a little over an hour south of portland. MOVE HERE! i would want nothing more! (well... maybe for someone in my family to move here) after i post some pictures of our sweet yurt in our backyard you'll be dying to come visit.

i heart oscar!

Julie and Kyle said...

okay #1- never knew you were so domestic. and #2- oscar is like 10 times bigger than mila. love it!