Sunday, August 29, 2010

domingo delicioso - cherry limeade and pineapple coconut upside down anything

I found an exciting recipe for cherry limeade, and it looked sooo good for the hot summer here. Unless you're entertaining or something and you want fun homemade beverages, don't waste your time. Not that big of a deal. I mean it tasted great and everything, but it was too much work. First I had to hand juice these 21 limes. ( The only good part about this recipe is how pretty all these colors looked.)



Then I had to make a simple syrup with a way overpriced vanilla bean, and a cherry puree from 4 cups of pitted cherries. Which means, I pitted the stinking cherries myself. I thought it wouldn't be hard, but I never nailed a good way to pit them and they were so small. Is there such a thing as a cherry pitter? Even if there is, there's not enough substance on the tiny fruit to make it worth the work for me. So, moral of the story, you probably don't wanna ask me for this recipe unless you're really trying to make some fancy drinks, cause there's plenty of tasty juice at the store for cheaper.




Sticking with the tropical summer cravings, I wanted some pineapple upside down cake. So I spiced it up with some coconut and baked it in small loaves. I didn't want a cupcake and I didn't want a cake, so I made these...




Oven friendly ceramics from Ikea that I lined with wax paper. Just the normal assembly of pineapple on the bottom, then butter and brown sugar, then duncan hines yellow cake batter mixed with sweetened coconut. Bake them, and then flip them. (I know I said I didn't want cupcakes, but with all that extra batter, I had to cupcake the rest of it to give away. They never left our house though, Nate and I just ate them.)





And here's what the yummy loaf looks like. Please notice Nate in the background. He really wanted to be in the pictures so he posed his hands in this picture and in the 3rd picture up from this one.

1 comment:

Sally Jensen Interiors said...

You are so gourmet...yum! Oscar is such a mix of you two!