Tuesday, August 31, 2010

on a more serious note...

After talking with a friend last night about something serious, I feel like I need to say a few things here. I use this blog as kind of a journal as well as a helper to myself to keep my commitments to pursue and develop my interests. But even though it's KIND OF a journal, there's no way I'd ever write anything too personal, negative, depressing, angry, etc. This means that if you only knew my blog, my life would be nothing but happy or fun moments, homemade meals, Oscar being cute, entertaining and funny people, blah blah blah. That is not an accurate portrayal of my life. While my life is wonderful, everyone has it worse off than they seem to have it. EVERYONE has some kind of serious nonsense they have to deal with that no one or not too many people know about. So if you're having a hard time in life right now, I just want you to know, I am not just this blog and I can probably relate.

Other people always seem to have it better than you, and that's just not the case. Everyone has a messy life and I am not in my kitchen all day whippin up anything and everything from scratch. In fact, last night, after a night of cleaning men's toilets and urinals, Nate and I sat down at 10pm to a dinner of frozen raviolis and frozen popcorn chicken. Sound gross? It kind of made me sick a little.

But my point is, you're not alone in feeling like you're the only one with a mediocre life, or even a hard life. I think the key is to help someone else out with your experiences and what you've learned from them. I was talking to another friend the other day about some other hardcore life stuff and I was amazed at how she knew exactly where I was and what I felt for having never experienced anything similar. I commented on what an incredible trait that was to have, to be able to put yourself in someone's shoes without really having been there. She said, "I've had my heart broken before; ripped out and stomped on actually. So I know what heartache is. Heartache is heartache."

Those were some of those most teaching words I've heard in a while. Where I'm going with this is trying to let you know that Oscar is hard work, Nate and I have our struggles, I'm not a gourmet chef, and you CAN relate with me because I too know heartache and heartbreak. Love you all.

3 comments:

Laurel said...

I should have pushed harder to have you guys eat my minestrone.

True empathy is a great gift. I know that we are given hard things to experience in life to help us develop this gift.

Julie and Kyle said...

:)

Lezlie said...

Nichelle,

ThAT POST WAS SO REAL, AND SWEET, AND IS ONE OF THE OTHER REASONS THAT YOU ARE AND WILL ALWAYS BE... MY BEST FRIEND AND THE MOST AMAZING PERSON I KNOW.