Sunday, August 15, 2010

domingo delicioso - lumpia!

This week it was only right that my delicioso item be dedicated to the sweet Filipino lady, Lolita Maldonado, that has been taking care of my 24 Hour Fitness problems. (They sent me a check that bounced. Long story.) After talking with her all week, lumpia was the only thing on my mind. Lumpia is a Filipino food that is similar to an egg roll but different and way better. The wrappers are way thinner, and tastier in my opinion, and they fry differently than an egg roll. The filling is a little different too. Typically, lumpia are made with ground pork which is what makes them so so tasty. My grandma used to bring batches of them home from her Filipino friends that would make them for special occasions and I used to devour them as a young girl.

I really enjoy attempting recipes where 95% of the ingredients are practical and not expensive. I can't stand a recipe where I need to purchase 5 spices I don't have just to make one dish. When am I ever gonna need something like capers more than once? With lumpia, the only novelty ingredient were the wrappers.

I don't know why I thought I could attempt these once and get them right on the first try. There is clearly an art to wrapping them, and it's a skill I did not master in just one try. The wrappers are crazy hard to work with. But they still tasted pretty darn good. They almost didn't happen with Oscar being sick, Lee Lee's Asian Super Market being such a trek from my house and such a crazy place to navigate, and with the bagger at the grocery store that forgot to bag my cabbage. They finally came together by the time I wasn't even hungry anymore from snacking on so much of the filling. Typical.

My super fat lumpia. I had a real hard time wrapping them any tighter and thinner.


The crazy wrappers I luckily stumbled upon at Lee Lee's after thinking I'd never find them. I've never seen a crazier store in my life. It was an entire huge super market full of products I've NEVER seen before. I didn't recognize one item.


In other news..Oscar is sick and he had a really hard day. It is so sad to have to see your baby sick. I'm gonna try to get him in to see the doctor tomorrow.

4 comments:

Mesia said...

Nichelle! I am so glad you commented on my blog...I love your blog and pictures of your new baby....love Oscar! He is so cute!!

Susan said...

Mmmm ... I used to eat lots of lumpia when I was an exchange student in the Philippines. Yummy!

dana and justin said...

those look really good! poor little oscar.. i hope he feels better soon.

Sally Jensen Interiors said...

You need to post the recipes lady...