Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day #3 Check out this eclair cake

This is the best dessert to make because it is easy breezy. You just throw a few ingredients together all willy nilly, and put the concoction in the fridge. It's not like baking where you have to be SO precise. You can do it as sloppy as you'd like to, like I do, and it still tastes so great. As far as I know, Sally invented this recipe. She used to make it all the time back in our UVSC branburry/glenwood days when I thought there was nothing wrong with eating an entire fresh loaf of bread from the bread machine. Sally knew this was my favorite dessert and even snuck it into me while I was in the MTC on my mission. (Via Diana Ojomo who worked in the MTC mailroom.) Anyway, Sally calls this Eclair cake, so that's what I call it. You only need the following ingredients:

1 box of graham crakers (generic brand will do)
2 small boxes instant pudding, french vanilla. (or whatever flavor really)
1 larger (not the small) container of cool whip (generic is totally fine once again)
a bunch of milk chocolate bars-like 3 symphonys or 6 or 7 hershey bar. (or even those little nubs of chocolate they sell in a microwavable container for strawberry dipping work too)

1. Make both instant pudding boxes according to instructions.



2. Mix the whole cool whip container into the pudding. Using something electric works best.



3. Lay down your first layer of graham crackers into your pyrex sized casserole pan or something similar. Be careful with your graham crackers, I get too rough with them and they crumble. They don't ever fit just right, don't worry.



4. Pour in pudding/cool whip mixture. Not all of it cause you will be repeating this process once more.


5. Lay down another layer of graham crackers.
6. Pour in some more pudding/cool whip mixture.
7. Lay down one more layer of graham crackers. ( probably will have used whole box by now.)
8. Melt your chocolate. I do it in the microwave. (you'll need more than pictured below)


9. Spread melted chocolate over dry top layer of graham crackers. Put it in the fridge 3 hours or more, the longer the better.

10. Take out and eat.


Happy day 3 friends, eat your hearts and thighs out.

5 comments:

David and Shalynna said...

This looks delicious. I think I'm going to make it as soon as possible.

Instead of eating my heart and thighs out (which was a funny way to end the post, by the way :), in my case it will be, "eat your heart and double chin out." Sad, but true.

Have you been having crazy cravings with the pregnancy? Do share...

Susan said...

Ooooh, yum! That looks so good.

I didn't know you and Sally lived in the Glenwood. I did, too, for a year - I think it was '95-'96. Good times, good times ...

Vagabond Mother said...

I might have to try this one, I'm looking for things that don't need at oven, this would be perfect!

Give my brother a hug for me!

Ryan Smart said...

Eating your thighs out sounds revolting, yet I like it. You can always tell people's insecure areas by what they talk about. I'll eat my love handles out. Can't wait to come visit!

Alison said...

PUT THIS IN MY FACE